The latest AMD Catalyst 12.9 was released yesterday (13/9/12) . The most significant change here is that Catalyst 9 improves your embedded Radeon graphics. For example if you’re using a netbook with an AMD CPU, then you have better support for its embedded IGPU, like E6760, E6460 etc.
Last but not least, the AMD hasn’t updated their website, thus this link is located under embedded graphics, not PC Desktop. Hopefully they will update their website during the next 24 hours.
[toggle title=”Changelog from Phoronix”]
Fix startx failure on PowerXpress A+A platforms
– Fix performance downgrade with 3DMarkVantage
– Fix startx failure on some specific ASICs
– Fix PowerPlay settings not persistent after reboot
– Fix problem that the hardware information is shown twice in AMD CCC:LE for Power Saving mode of PowerXpress A+A
– Fix severe corruption when switch between multiple X servers
– Fix cursor disappear when open AMD CCC:LE with specific steps
– Fix suspend/resume hang on PowerXpress A+A in Power-Saving mode
– Fix system hang after panning
– Fix system font change after enable Xinerama
– Fix X crash when run 32bit AMD CCC:LE on 64bit system
– Fix the issue that monitor goes into sleep for some ASICs after kill X
Click to download the drivers for 64/32 bit (the package contains both the 32-bit and 64-bit driver.).
[button color=”orange” link=”http://www2.ati.com/drivers/embedded/9.00-120815a-146426C-EDG_Direct.zip”]Download 32/64bit[/button]
Currently you can’t install this driver using Xorg-Edgers PPA because the repository has not been updated yet. You have to built it by you own following the hard(manual) way.
The hard (manual) way
[toggle title=”First install of AMD Catalyst”]
#First install of AMD Catalyst
#prerequisite packages# sudo apt-get install build-essential cdbs dh-make dkms sudo apt-get install execstack dh-modaliases fakeroot libqtgui4 # If you are 64 bit, install these too sudo apt-get install ia32-libs ia32-libs-multiarch:i386 sudo apt-get install lib32gcc1 libc6-i386 cd /usr ; sudo ln -svT lib /usr/lib64 # Go into your Downloads folder (I suppose you have already download the driver) cd Downloads # Make the package executable chmod +x amd-driver-installer-9.00-x86.x86_64.run # Create and install deb packages sudo sh ./amd-driver-installer-9.00-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg Ubuntu/precise sudo dpkg -i fglrx*.deb # Enable new settings sudo aticonfig --initial -f # Reboot you PC
[toggle title=”Upgrade from AMD Catalyst 12.x to 12.9″]
# eg Upgrade from AMD Catalyst 12.8 to 12.9
# Go into your Downloads folder (I suppose you have already download the driver) cd Downloads # Make the package executable chmod +x amd-driver-installer-9.00-x86.x86_64.run # Create deb packages sudo sh ./amd-driver-installer-9.00-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg Ubuntu/precise # Force overwrite the older packages with the new ones sudo dpkg --force-overwrite -i *.deb # Reboot you PC
If want to unistall them
sudo apt-get remove --purge fglrx fglrx_* fglrx-amdcccle* fglrx-dev*
Thanks to our reader:Yannis Tsismentzoglou